Friday, December 23, 2011

All because of Christmas. . .


It is a peaceful Friday morning here in my house.  Darkness is giving way to daylight, creating a black and white "sketch" of the silhouettes of trees across the skyline.  The doorway to the Hobbit Hole is just becoming visible.  Inside is dark, too, except for the illumination of the computer screen on my desk in the music room and the soft glow of Christmas tree lights in the living room.  Pandora Radio, set to play Folk Christmas, filters faintly through the stillness.  The piano, guitar or pan pipe renditions of old favorite carols  add to the peacefulness I am feeling.  

Why am I peaceful, I wonder?  Where is this coming from?  It's two days before Christmas!  Shouldn't I be stressed?  Shouldn't I be frantically shopping, wrapping, partying, practicing, baking, cleaning, etc.?  Aren't there a "million" things yet to accomplish before Christmas can possibly happen?  How absurd!  How sad. How incredibly human we are to have created such chaos in our attempt to celebrate a humble, Holy birth. 

I have to admit that even though I do believe all of what I have just said, try as I might, I have almost always encountered a period of anxiety at some point during the so called festivities.  This year has been different - a turning point or milestone, I guess you would say.  I don't know how this happened. However, I do know when because I could feel the physical release when it took place; a weight being lifted and afterward - peace...serenity, whatever you want to call it.  As I absorbed and contemplated this "wave of relaxation," I began a prioritizing process to differentiate between what really matters and what does not.  "It's about people" was a recurring phrase that came to mind during this process. 

With that in mind, I felt determined to let go of my "busyness" during this last week before Christmas, follow my heart (instead of the "shoulds" and "have to's") and focus on people.  The chain of events that happened next is absolutely amazing to me!  I have no idea how everything unfolded as it did (or...maybe I do.)  It was a series of synchronistic moments, that's for sure!   Far too many to document, individually.  However, all the time-consuming preparations I needed to make (the ones I usually can't get to until last minute) miraculously got done a week early!  Even a few things I hadn't even planned to do - done!  I found myself with this "extra" week to share time with people.  It may have been a planned visit together over coffee, an impromptu drop-in, a last-minute lunch invitation, a timely phone call, a spontaneous conversation in a store or an unexpected evening with grandkids, most often, initiated by others (synchronicity, again).   When I think of all the mutual nurturing that would have been missed had I not been attentive to the words, "It's about people," I am ashamed to realize how many times that has probably happened in the past.  But, isn't it wonderful to know "the wisdom to know the difference" can become reality?!  Isn't it incredible to look, really look, at another person. . .and see your reflection?  

And. . . . . .all because of Christmas!    

No comments:

Post a Comment