Thursday, April 7, 2011

Who cares about a bunch of clothes. . .

So here I am, back in Hancock, NY. More specifically, French Woods. Back in the mountains of home. There are a few patches of snow here and there--mostly in little nooks and gullies where the sun doesn't shine. In contrast, the little clump of flower bulbs under the rose bush have sprouted, adding a splash of bright yellow to the front yard -- a cheerful welcome home.


It's such a short trip, by air, that it takes some adjustment for me to comprehend the distance I've just traveled. I wonder how it is that I can be here in my own house and still be wearing the baby scent of Kaitlyn and the smear of the good-bye kiss she gave me just a few hours ago.


The flight was pleasant enough, once we got going. The plane was on time but the crew was not so we were late in boarding. Then, we were one of the last in priority for take-off so we were an hour behind schedule. The attendant said not to worry, that once in the air, the pilot would fly the plane as it it were stolen. I guess that was true because we arrived in Scranton just 20 minutes late. The view of the ground was clear right up until landing. It always makes me try to sit light in my seat when the plane is landing and I can't see how close the ground is getting. As if that would make a difference! One of the "passengers" was a little Yorkie in a pet carrier, on his owner's lap, that barked every once in awhile. A little while taking off but he yipped and whimpered while landing. I think it hurt his ears. Poor little thing!


As I said, I'm at home now. My luggage, however and for whatever reason, did not accompany me! So...I'm in the process of dealing with the "delayed luggage" folks now. That's what they call it -- delayed luggage. Note that it is not called "lost luggage." Customer Service Guy in Scranton: "Hmmm...that's odd...this doesn't usually happen. You're sure you checked it?" Me: "Yes." But I'm thinking: Helllloooo......I have a bag claim receipt. So we fill out and sign all the necessary forms while he assures me bags are almost always found. Then he asks: "When would you like this delivered? I look confused. He continues: "Tomorrow? The next day? Sometime next week?" I consciously arrange my facial muscles to exude pleasantry, make direct eye contact and say: "As...soon...as...possible."


Thankfully, there is good news. A little while ago, I called, talked to someone whose 3rd language is English and found out my bag has, in fact, been located. Actually, it never left Charlotte. Oh, but, first I called the number Customer Service Guy gave me. That person on the other end was very articulate. However, she couldn't help me at all because I had called her personal cell phone. She did say mine was the second call she'd had recently with someone looking for lost luggage. ??? As they say, all's well that ends well, and I have been assured my bag will leave Charlotte this evening, arrive in Scranton tonight, and be delivered sometime tomorrow. AND...if I fill out the proper request forms, the bag check fee will be refunded. That could take up to several weeks, so I was told. (Funny...it didn't take that long for it to come OFF my debit card.)


Life is like that, though, isn't it? Humorous, I mean. And most of it really is "small stuff." In every situation, we have our own choices to make. Most of the time, when our dispositions are out of sorts, I truly believe it is not so much because of what others have "done to us" but because of the reactions we have chosen in response to given situations.


I have had this glorious day. I am loved by family as I love them. God is good. Who cares about a bunch of clothes?!

No comments:

Post a Comment