Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cont'd. . .

Ah yes. . .back in home sweet home, wet basement and all, having driven 100 miles in rain that fell hard and harder.  Binghamton is still showing evidence of the recent flooding.  The roads are full of bumps and potholes and in places, the streets are still lined with piles of homeowners' soggy belongings.  Very sad, yet encouraging to see how resilient folks are and how they care for one another.  Although I did overhear a conversation about "pickers" driving around in trucks and collecting appliances to sell as scrap metal, presumably for their own gain.  At the risk of being naive, I'm going to choose to believe the cash is intended to be donated toward flood causes. 
I was getting so hungry and tired on my way home, I broke my record of years of abstaining from "fast food" (which I consider the number one enemy of the human digestive system) and went through a drive-thru.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret that later.
Visibility was so poor while driving that it took longer than usual to get to the doctor's.  My appointment was for 3:30 and when I saw that it was 3:34 as I pulled in the parking lot, I hoped I hadn't interfered with the scheduling.  No need.  At 4:25, I was called from the waiting area and at 5:06, I was seen by the doctor.  By 5:11, we had agreed my hand is fine, and I was leaving. Since I wasn't on a tight schedule at that point, I didn't mind the wait, though.  I was wishing I had brought my ear buds so I could have listened to one of my audible books.  (I like to listen to them while I'm working around the house.)  I do have a printed version of the Bible on my iPod so I randomly chose Matthew and read 7 chapters while I was waiting! 
I have to be careful when I do that in public, though -- oh, not because I don't want anybody to see me; it's not that.  It's because I'm apt to forget my surroundings and start singing when I come to passages that are song lyrics.  That's one of the perks I enjoy about getting older. . .I can do things like that. . .and no one bats an eye!

No comments:

Post a Comment